The Say Yes Peer Mentoring Program Coordinator is responsible for helping to create and maintain the overall health of the Say Yes Buffalo Scholar Gates peer Mentoring Initiative with specific focus around on-boarding and management of high school peer mentoring matches, in accordance with established best practices in the mentoring field, specifically the Elements of Effective Practice for Mentoring. This position is designed to ensure peer mentors are selected who are capable of delivering college matriculation advice in structured class settings in each public high school. The position manages the peer mentors, provides need training and supports their professional development and program assignments throughout the school year.
The Peer Mentoring Coordinator will also manage data collection, documenting the impact of our peer mentoring efforts in coordination with the overall project Knowledge Management Lead. This position will be responsible to develop and monitoring the Say Yes peer-to-peer mentoring training plans, all processes for screening and hiring peer mentors and maintaining the monitoring systems for tracking data related to the program. The Peer Mentoring Program Coordinator will provide additional opportunities for peer mentoring participants around financial aid, counseling, transportation, books, food, etc. In addition, they will provide opportunities and create environments for peer mentees to learn from peers who come from circumstances similar to their own and who are successfully navigating higher education.
The Say Yes Buffalo Peer Mentoring Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Launching the Say Yes Buffalo Peer Mentoring Program;
- Working with Say Yes Buffalo and Institutions of Higher Education (IHE) to recruit, screen, train & support 35 Scholar Peer Mentors
- Working with the Buffalo Public Schools to assign two peer mentors to each of the 17 public high schools;
- Develop peer mentoring programming with both the Buffalo Public Schools and partner Higher Education Institutions;
- Adhering to the Elements of Effective Practices for mentoring;
- Establish and maintain a programmatic data dashboard with indicators selected by the partner institutions,
- And; Continuously monitoring and providing fidelity to the peer mentoring relationships.
Timing: Program design to be completed in 2019-20, school year Q2-Q3; Recruitment and training of Peer Mentor Coordinator and near-peer mentors will take place in 2019-20 school year Q2-Q3; The Peer Mentoring Program Coordinator will be responsible to have the first peer mentors embedded within our high schools by 2019-20, school year Q4.
The Say Yes Buffalo Peer Mentoring Program Coordinator position involves recruiting, screening/vetting, training and case management for peer mentors and mentee participating in the Say Yes Buffalo Scholar Peer Mentoring Program. This position requires extensive follow up with program participants and reporting any concerns to the Say Yes Buffalo Boys and Men of Color Program Manager. In addition, the position requires providing exemplary customer service for all Say Yes Buffalo affiliated students, partners, businesses, organizations and funders.
- Responsible for following program policies and procedures related to recruitment, screening, training, monitoring, matching, and closure for all program participants
- Responsible for developing, maintaining and updating mentor/mentee recruitment, screenings, matching and maintenance procedures
- Responsible for making decisions to onboard and separate peer mentor and mentee relationships
- Responsible for administering, verifying, recording, documenting, and disbursement of peer mentor/mentee stipends and bus passes
- Supervises peer mentor/mentee mentoring operations
- Oversees, maintains and makes decisions on all mentor background checks and compliance functions
- Required to work autonomously and as a team member to make decisions over mentoring operations using problem solving skills
- Cultivate and managing existing relationships with partner Higher Education Institutions, and key staff
- Serve as a resource between Say Yes Buffalo and identified Higher Education Institutions ensure smooth delivery of peer mentoring services associated with partnership agreements
- Assemble and maintain human resources files for all peer mentors as well as records of current, pending and past mentors; including documentation of any required background checks and related paperwork such as: interview documents, references, agreements, training certificates, exit surveys, etc.
- Maintain documentation, monthly reports, and track program deliverables, including those of Higher Education Institutions
- Manage data for peer mentors including length of match, match activities, number of contacts, and monthly/annual volunteer outreach efforts
- Create, organize, and manage peer mentoring activities that provide leadership development opportunities for scholars and peer mentors, including career exploration visits, campus socials, professional speakers, trainings, workshops, luncheons, community events, college tours, annual mentoring celebration and more
- Manage a caseload of continuously moving peer mentoring matches
- Provide on-going guidance and support to peer mentors and assist mentor/mentee matches in completing at minimal a 12-18 month peer mentoring cycle
- Assist with the on-boarding peer mentor/mentee matching process
- Collect peer mentor applications, references, background check information, driver’s license, proof of car insurance and record data into Salesforce/MentorCore database
- Schedule and coordinate fingerprinting appointments for peer mentors when required
- Keep SYB, the IHE’s, peer mentors and mentees updated on the program status at each juncture of the peer mentoring initiative
- Inform volunteers regarding orientation/trainings, activities, events, and completion of monthly reports
- Conduct and document monthly check-ins with partners and peer mentoring participants
- Create, distribute, collect program evaluation and exit surveys
- Work in conjunction with other Say Yes Buffalo programmatic functions as required, such as special events, to support the program
- Bachelor’s degree preferred with equivalent training and three (3) years’ experience in a discipline related to functional responsibilities of the position, including human services, education, school based, after school, and community-based youth academic, enrichment, and intervention programs/services.
- Knowledge and experience working with the Elements of Effective Practice for Mentoring
- This position requires the training of mentors and mentees, attendance at events, which requires flexibility in work hours
- Extensive knowledge of the high school to post-secondary education matriculation process
- Experience and capacity in recruiting and engaging youth volunteers
- Must have excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Experience organizing and supervising assigned projects with integrity
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, and with a minimum amount of supervision
- Has shown an ability to work within a team setting
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills to effectively work with and interact with diverse individuals and groups of students
- Ability to resolve problems efficiently, effectively and independently
- Valid New York State driver’s license
- Ability to satisfactorily complete required background screenings: New York State youth clearance, criminal, and driving
To apply, visit: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/CHI1024/JobBoard/fc2db33d-38be-deed-f072-cce806dbf68f/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=caf1b587-8185-467b-9d30-e188a5de07d0