Say Yes Student Ambassador Program 2017-2018
The Say Yes Ambassadors (SYAs) are a select group of college students dedicated to the positive promotion of Say Yes Buffalo within their community. These volunteers will serve as liaisons between Say Yes Buffalo and students, families, higher education, Buffalo public and charter schools, donors, and other key stakeholders in the Say Yes partnership. They will participate in Say Yes events throughout the year, serve as guest speakers and greeters, and help educate the community at large about the mission of Say Yes.
As part of their commitment to the SYA program, students will have the opportunity to develop and receive training in professional communication, public relations, interpersonal and networking skills, and exposure to the higher education, internship and career opportunities.
Students selected for the program are expected to make a one-year commitment. There will be potential for ambassadors to extend their commitment beyond the first year should they wish to take on enhanced leadership opportunities.
SYAs may participate in the following events and activities:
- Community Leadership Council meeting (3 times/year)
- Angel Donor Breakfast (3 times/year)
- Say Yes Scholar Symposium scheduled for Summer 2016
- Donor/Scholar Thank You event
- Say Yes workshops
- Scholarship fairs
- Writing letters and thank you notes to donors
- Making telephone calls to donors
- Additional events, such as promotional events, donor dinners/cocktail parties, etc.
- Community events, such as Juneteenth, the Puerto Rican Day parade, etc.
- Office volunteer work as needed
- Enhance communication and public speaking skills
- Networking opportunities
- Leadership experience
- Skill-building for resume enhancement
- All transportation costs covered – NFTA tokens available
- End of year banquet
- Tablet for successful completion of the program
ROLES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Volunteer for a minimum of 3 events per year (MANDATORY)
- Participate in an orientation session and 3 professional workshops (MANDATORY)
- Assist with recruitment of additional SYAs
- Serve as a positive role model in the community and on student’s college campus
- Help foster Say Yes’s positive reputation in and around the City of Buffalo
- Must be Say Yes eligible and enrolled at a Say Yes partner college
- Maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA
- Be in good standing at your college and passing all classes
- Have a willingness to share your story in front of large audiences
- Positive attitude
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of Say Yes Buffalo scholarship and services a plus!
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for the program, candidates must submit the SYA application, below. Included with the application, students must also submit a copy of their most recent transcript and course schedule.
For information, contact Allison Newman, Scholarship Director of Say Yes Buffalo, at email@example.com or by calling 716.247.5310 x 204